Thursday, December 13, 2007

Response to essay question? What would I do to improve Richmond.

I would say to improve the quality of the city of Richmond, that each individual needs to look inside of their self pulling out there best qualities and reflecting them outwardly to the world.Being civil with one another helping those who are more unfortunate than ones self, caring and having concerns about your city as if it were the actual house that you live in. Get involved ,in other words stand up and speak out about things that are justly intolerable to city officials as well as neighbors start treating people as equals,personally this is where I would start to improve Richmond.


I was watching the republican presidential debates and the question for the candidates was similar to this essay question:If chosen to be president what would the elected candidate do to improve our country. While I observed and listened to this debate I realized that If one person could change this country for the better that each individual in the country could then turn each city into a great city. Treating others as you would want to be treated goes a long way.With this type of positive mental state life will then improve locally and abroad.Some of the issues in the debate were issues that also pertain to this city and health care was one Richmond can in my observations provide better heath care for the people on medicaid .In Richmond medicaid will not pay for dental work if you are over the age of 21yrs. I feel that this creates serious long term health problems for people unable to afford health care insurance, I feel that people over that age are more in need of dental care and that it is a known fact that dental problems can lead to serious heath conditions .I feel that Richmond should change this policy in medicare.

Another thing that I feel would improve Richmond would be to change the Commonwealth policy of "at will dismissal" I have experienced this unfortunate way of termination from two different employers and I feel that It allows a business to hire good employees at terminate them for their own personal Prejudices. With this law in effect it makes it very hard to establish a case of wrongful termination.I feel that if Richmond would rid itself from that law there would be a better rate of people employed and it would force employers to treat workers with more respect instead of a like it or leave it attitude.This law in away implies this old time saying "that your dammed if you do and your dammed if you don't I then say this because in both cases with these employers I was let go and it had nothing to do with my job performance it was as the law stated an;" At will dismissal" When filling out applications there is a area where they ask you the reason you are no longer working for a previous employer giving an at will dismissal does not read well to the business looking to hire new employees especially when you can't provide them with an explanation.

Richmond Commonwealth law states that a company or business can terminate employment for any reason at anytime during employment and so forth the employee without consequence. One is then forced to go to unemployment only to receive a small percentage of their working income. With living expenses amounting and or dependants the next step would be receiving public assistance to make ends meet. Then you get stereo typed in grocery stores like your steeling from working people not considering that the person may be of the working class that may a fell upon hard times.I myself was in line with an Eb card [food stamps] and the security guard of the store had acknowledged my method of payment and indignantly stated that I was spending his hard earned dollars and that's where all his tax dollars go. I then informed him that I am a tax payer as well and that I am not looking for hand outs from the government that am obligated to seek means of survival and that being a tax payer my self makes the government obligated to help me.


I feel Richmond is on the way to becoming one the greatest cities to visit for tourist and to live and grow up in.There are a lot of wonderful plans for the construction of this city plenty of things to look forward to for the new generation of Richmonders.I believe that Richmond officials should address the topics of better medicare and employment policies.Richmond city officials need to find solutions to prevent health problems in our working class of adults 21yrs and older. Who don't make enough to pay the rent let alone hospital bills and needed surgeries also by ridding the city of this unfair law of "At will dismissal" will level the field between employer and employee.In turn I feel that it creates a more respectable work enviorment for employees asuring them that good service to a company secures their positions and that they need not walk on egg shells to gain respect from their employers.These are the most significant changes I would make to Richmond .

1 comment:

Adam Nathanson said...

Nana,
I like the specific suggestions on what to change here. Medicaid and "at-will" work are certainly urgent issues to the average Richmonder. So would you make all health-care free in our city? Would you require employers to sign a legally binding contract to employ a person for a certain period of time? Thanks for taking the time to participate even when you can't be here physically.
Best,
Adam